Men who love bourbon enjoy an old fashioned now and again. Choosing the right bourbon makes a big difference in the taste of the popular drink. Why do men love a good old fashioned?
- Nostalgia: An old fashioned cocktail is a classic drink that has been enjoyed for over a century, and many men may feel a sense of nostalgia or a connection to the past when they drink it.
- Sophistication: The old fashioned is a relatively simple cocktail, made with whiskey, sugar, bitters, and a twist of citrus. However, its simplicity can also make it a sophisticated and elegant drink that men can enjoy.
- Strong flavor: The whiskey and bitters used in an old fashioned give it a strong and distinct flavor that many men may appreciate.
- Customizability: The old fashioned is a drink that can be customized to suit individual tastes. Some men may prefer a sweeter version, while others may prefer a stronger or more bitter drink.
Overall, the old fashioned cocktail has a timeless appeal that many men find enjoyable and satisfying.
Here’s Why Choosing the Right Bourbon Matters
Selecting the right bourbon for an old fashioned is important for several reasons:
- Flavor: Different bourbons have different flavors, ranging from sweet and fruity to smoky and spicy. Choosing the right bourbon can enhance the flavor profile of the old fashioned and create a more enjoyable drinking experience.
- Balance: A good old fashioned should have a balance of sweetness and bitterness. Choosing a bourbon that complements the other ingredients in the cocktail can help achieve this balance.
- Quality: The quality of the bourbon used in an old fashioned can have a significant impact on the overall taste of the drink. Using a high-quality bourbon can result in a smoother and more flavorful cocktail.
- Personal preference: Ultimately, the right bourbon for an old fashioned depends on personal preference. Some people may prefer a sweeter bourbon, while others may prefer a more robust and complex flavor.
Overall, selecting the right bourbon for an old fashioned is important for achieving the desired flavor profile and creating an enjoyable drinking experience.
Some of the Best Bourbons to Use in Your Old Fashioned
The best bourbons to mix in an old fashioned usually depend on personal preference and taste, but here are some popular options:
- Maker’s Mark: A wheated bourbon with a smooth and mellow flavor profile that pairs well with the sweetness of an old fashioned.
- Bulleit Bourbon: A high-rye bourbon with a spicy and bold flavor that can add complexity to the cocktail.
- Woodford Reserve: A premium bourbon with a complex flavor profile that includes notes of vanilla, caramel, and oak, making it an excellent choice for an old fashioned.
- Buffalo Trace: A well-balanced bourbon with a sweet and spicy flavor profile that can add depth and character to the cocktail.
- Four Roses Single Barrel: A single barrel bourbon with a rich and robust flavor that can stand up to the other ingredients in an old fashioned.
Overall, the best bourbons to mix in an old fashioned are those that complement the other ingredients in the cocktail and enhance the overall flavor profile. It’s important to experiment with different bourbons to find the one that best suits your personal taste.
Here’s a Classic Recipe for an Old Fashioned:
- 2 oz bourbon
- 1 tsp sugar (or simple syrup)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 orange slice
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Club soda (optional)
- In an old fashioned glass, muddle the sugar (or simple syrup), orange slice, and cherry until well combined.
- Add the bourbon and bitters, then stir to combine.
- Add a large ice cube to the glass (or fill with ice), then stir again.
- If desired, top with a splash of club soda for a bit of fizz.
- Garnish with another orange slice and cherry, if desired.
Note: Some people prefer to make their old fashioned with a twist of lemon instead of orange. Also, the amount of sugar (or simple syrup) can be adjusted to taste. If using simple syrup, start with 1/2 oz and adjust as needed.