A hazy IPA, also known as New England IPA, is a type of India Pale Ale beer that is unfiltered or partially filtered, giving it a cloudy or hazy appearance. It is characterized by its strong hop flavor and aroma, typically featuring fruity or tropical notes, and often has a softer mouthfeel than traditional IPAs due to the use of specific yeasts and grains. Hazy IPAs are a relatively new style of beer, having gained popularity in the United States in the 2010s.
How Popular are Hazy IPA’s?
Hazy IPAs have become increasingly popular in recent years, particularly in the United States where they originated. They are now one of the most popular styles of craft beer, and many breweries produce hazy IPAs as part of their regular lineup or as seasonal offerings. Hazy IPAs have also gained a significant following among beer enthusiasts and have even inspired their own subculture of beer enthusiasts who seek out the newest and most sought-after hazy IPAs. However, it’s worth noting that not everyone enjoys hazy IPAs, and taste preferences vary widely among individuals.
What Makes a Great Hazy IPA Beer?
There are several factors that can contribute to making a great hazy IPA beer:
- Appearance: A great hazy IPA should have a hazy, cloudy appearance, with a deep color and a thick, creamy head.
- Aroma: A great hazy IPA should have a strong aroma of hops, with fruity or tropical notes, and perhaps some citrus or pine undertones.
- Flavor: A great hazy IPA should have a bold hop flavor, with a balance between bitterness and sweetness. The fruity or tropical notes should also come through in the flavor.
- Mouthfeel: A great hazy IPA should have a soft and smooth mouthfeel, with a full body and a slightly creamy texture. It should not feel too heavy or too carbonated.
- Balance: A great hazy IPA should have a good balance between all the different elements – the hops, the malt, the yeast, and the water. It should not be too bitter or too sweet, and all the flavors and aromas should work well together.
Of course, taste preferences can vary widely, and what makes for a great hazy IPA for one person may not be the same for another. Ultimately, the best hazy IPA is the one that you enjoy the most!
What are Some of the Best Hazy IPA Beers?
Personal options and preferences dictate what are considered the best hazy IPA’s. There are many great hazy IPA beers that are popular among beer enthusiasts. Some examples include:
- Tree House Julius – a hazy IPA from Tree House Brewing Company in Massachusetts, known for its citrusy and juicy flavors.
- Trillium Fort Point – a hazy IPA from Trillium Brewing Company in Massachusetts, known for its tropical fruit flavors and soft mouthfeel.
- Other Half All Green Everything – a hazy triple IPA from Other Half Brewing Company in New York, known for its intense hop flavors and aromas.
- WeldWerks Juicy Bits – a hazy IPA from WeldWerks Brewing Company in Colorado, known for its complex hop profile and creamy mouthfeel.
- Monkish Brewing Foggy Window – a hazy IPA from Monkish Brewing Company in California, known for its tropical fruit flavors and hazy appearance.
It’s worth noting that new hazy IPAs are being released all the time, and taste preferences can vary widely, so this list is by no means exhaustive or definitive. The best hazy IPA is ultimately the one that you enjoy the most!
This article provides some additional thoughts on their favorite hazy IPA’s.